Rishworthans Banner

1st XV Match Report - Yorkshire Shield

Old Rishworthians 21 - 14 Middlesbrough

Kelly kicks Rishworthians into Shield Final

    1. Home
    2. Match report
    3. 1st XV
    4. Fixtures/Results/Reports
      1. 2017-18
      2. 2016-17
      3. 2015-16
      4. 2014-15
      5. 2013-14
      6. 2012-13
      7. 2011-12
      8. 2010-11
      9. 2009-10
      10. 2008-09
    5. Statistics
      1. 2015-16
      2. 2014-15
      3. 2013-14
      4. 2012-13
      5. 2011-12
      6. 2010-11
      7. 2009-10
      8. 2008-09
      9. 2007-08
      10. 2006-07
      11. 2005-06
      12. 2004-05
      13. 2003-04
    6. Previous Seasons
      1. 2013-14
      2. 2012-13
      3. 2011-12
      4. 2010-11
      5. 2009-10
      6. 2008-09
      7. 2007-08
      8. 2006-07
      9. 2005-06
      10. 2004-05
      11. 2003-04
Match Report Saturday 28th April - Yorkshire Shield semi final

Old Rishworthian's defeated Middlesbrough 21-14 in the semi final of the YorkshireShield and will now meet Scarborough in the final on May 13th at Hull Ionians, kick off 3:15.

It was a great victory by the Copley men who were playing their third game in seven days against a team who are third in Yorkshire 1 and hadn't been beaten since January 27th, interestingly by Scarborough. Both teams were missing key players, but Old Rishworthian's without Harvey Keighley Payne and Sam Nunn who were injured in the midweek game against Hullensians, and the unavailable Josh Crickmay, struggled in the first half playing into a strong wind.

The earlier exchanges were fast and furious and Anthony Shoesmith was penalised for a high tackle, but Matthew Todd missed the kick at goal. Edward Cockroft combined with Harry Whitfield to put pressure on the Middlesbrough defence but from a further penalty which was kicked to the corner, Liam Wilson won the line out and following a scrum, flanker Euan Tremblett, scored a try converted by Todd.

The Middlesbrough three quarters were looking dangerous and only a last ditch tackle by Chris Stone kept out any further earlier scores. Josh Kelly combined with Cockroft and from the break the visitors were penalised for off side, and Kelly kicked the first of his seven penalty goals.

Further attacking play by Liam Wilson who scored near the posts and a conversion by Todd enabled the visitors to increase their lead. Richard Bullough and Greg Day were brought on after twenty minutes and they had an immediate effect. The line out ball was won more easily, but full back Sam Bake was penalised for holding onto the ball.

The visitors kicked for the corner again, but this time the Old Rishworthian defence caused a break up in play and Luke Flanagan kicked on and the ball just bounced away from him, otherwise a try would have been scored. The Copley men started retaining possession and at last the game was being played in the visitors half. Another penalty was kicked by Josh Kelly and as half time was approaching with the score 14-6, the game was changing.

Anthony Shoesmith intercepted a floating pass from Todd and set off for the line but the referee brought play back to the halfway line for a penalty to the visitors. The scrum was settling and several yards were gained for No 8 Jack Andrews to run and cause problems for Middlesbrough. Half Time 14-6.

Half Time Old Rishworthians 6 - 14 Middlesbrough

Old Rishworthians confidence was highlighted by full back Sam Bake. He caught the ball on the 10 meter line kicked forward and tackled Brendan Hill the Middlesbrough full back in the 22. Hill was penalised and Kelly kicked another penalty. The Copley men were using the wind to their advantage and following a high tackle by a Middlesbrough player, Kelly kicked another penalty to make the score 14-12.

Ben Sutcliffe and Doug Heseltine were combining well in the centre and defended well with Sutcliffe bring off several tackles to stop Peter Homan in his tracks. Josh Kelly had a further penalty attempt but this time the ball hit the upright of the post and Middlesbrough were able to clear their lines. Cockroft and Kelly started to target Hill at full back and he started to look very unsure under the high ball. From a kick by Kelly Hill was penalised and Kelly had no problems in kicking the goal and putting g the Copley men in the lead for the first time. 15-14.

The game was opening up and Shoesmith nearly scored a try but the referee penalised Middlesbrough again and Kelly converted the kick to make the score 18-14.

Ben Waud came on and immediately made an impact by bringing off a shuddering tackle to prevent Middlesbrough from developing any momentum. Kelly continued to bombard Hill and he was making mistakes with Sutcliffe, Bake and Waud winning the ball. Another tackle by Waud and Middlesbrough were penalised again and Kelly kicked the goal to make the final score 21-14.

There were celebrations at the final whistle and the Copley men now look forward to their first Yorkshire Shield Final.

Middlesboro website

1. H Whitfield 2. C Stone 3. P Kershaw
6. G Rollings 7. C Flanagan
4. C Heseltine 5. F Swarbrooke
8. J Andrews
9. E Cockroft
10. J Kelly P7
12. B Sutcliffe
13. D Heseltine
11. L Flanagan 14. A Shoesmith
15. S Bake
B Waud T Jowle G Day R Bullough J Billing

Rishworthians v Middlesbrough Slideshow.
click on photo to enlarge, move cursor onto enlarged photo then click on next to view more photos.
View Photos

The Clubhouse, Copley
Halifax West Yorkshire
Telephone  01422 353919
e-mail  rugby@orrufc.co.uk
Colours Maroon, White, Black
Visitors to this page