Rishworthans Banner

1st XV Match Report - Yorkshire 1

Old Rishworthians 10 - 19 Heath

Rishworthians unable to open up Heath's defence

    1. Home
    2. Match report
    3. 1st XV
    4. Fixtures/Results/Reports
      1. 2017-18
      2. 2016-17
      3. 2015-16
      4. 2014-15
      5. 2013-14
      6. 2012-13
      7. 2011-12
      8. 2010-11
      9. 2009-10
      10. 2008-09
    5. Statistics
      1. 2015-16
      2. 2014-15
      3. 2013-14
      4. 2012-13
      5. 2011-12
      6. 2010-11
      7. 2009-10
      8. 2008-09
      9. 2007-08
      10. 2006-07
      11. 2005-06
      12. 2004-05
      13. 2003-04
    6. Previous Seasons
      1. 2013-14
      2. 2012-13
      3. 2011-12
      4. 2010-11
      5. 2009-10
      6. 2008-09
      7. 2007-08
      8. 2006-07
      9. 2005-06
      10. 2004-05
      11. 2003-04
Match Report Saturday 17th March - Yorkshire 1

Old Rishworthians failed to do the double over near neighbours Heath in this Yorkshire 1 game. The conditions were very bad with strong winds and snow blowing towards the clubhouse and all credit to the 36 players, referee and spectators who had to withstand the extremely cold March weather.

The hosts were missing Fraser Swarbrooke, owing to a shoulder injury with scrum half Edward Cockroft taking over the captaincy, and Sam Nunn who was playing for Yorkshire Under 20's on Sunday.

Heath played with the wind in the first half, and gained ground but a penalty for off side to Old Rishworthians was missed by Cockroft. The front row of Josh Crickmay, Chris Stone and Harry Whitfield, caused the visitors problems and Crickmay made two runs which were defended well by Heath. Eventually after 17 minutes Heath gained control at the scrum and the home pack were penalised but Ezra Hinchliffe missed the kick.

The game was not going to be a classic owing to the conditions but after a line out near the Copley men's line a driving maul from Heath enabled Oliver Cook to score a try near the posts which was converted by Hinchliffe. Winger Callum Harriot Brown made ground for Heath, and only sound tackling by Gerard Rollings prevented a further score. Ben Waugh used his extra height to create breaks in the centre but the ball was not moved quickly enough.

After 30 Minutes Anthony Shoesmith was injured and Joe Billing replaced him.A further penalty after 35 minutes was again missed by Hinchliffe.

Half Time Old Rishworthians 0 - 7 Heath

With Old Rishworthians playing with the wind it was going to be a tight second half. Cockroft was marshaling his troops and Josh Kelly made sure that the ball won from line outs by Harvey Keighley -Payne was drilled towards the club house. There followed a period of play where Old Rishworthians put 10 phases together and Heath defended well, but they infringed and from a tapped penalty by Cockroft the ball was moved to Chris Flanagan, playing in his usual position of centre,who dropped the ball with the line at his mercy. From the scrum Old Rishworthian pack went forward but Heath won the ball and cleared their lines. The kick found Luke Flanagan, who stooped to collect it and knocked on on the half way line. Heath then ran the ball from the scrum, with Hinchliffe finding Harriot- Brown with a blatant forward pass and a try was allowed which was not converted.

The home side only had one objective and that was to play in the Heath 22, and Kelly ensured that the kick off was spot on. Jack Andrews playing in the second row and Callum Heseltine carried well and eventually Heath conceded a penalty for off side. Cockroft made no mistake and a yellow card was dished out to a Heath forward.The game became exciting with the Rishworthians creating breaks and eventually Cockroft found Joe Billing who scored near the posts for a try converted by Cockroft.

At 12-10 the Copley men found a new gear, but Heath had other ideas. A line out near the Rishworthians 5 meter line was won by Rollings and this time instead of Kelly kicking deep, the ball was retained and Heath scenting the line won the next line out and drove over for a try by Moore, converted by Hinchliffe.

The final score was 19-10 to Heath who have been regulars in Yorkshire 1 for 10 seasons. The Copley men can consider their first season in the league as successful, although more players are needed in key positions. With Moortown losing to York the team is 8th in the league. Congratulations to all who played considering the weather.

Old Rishworthian Development Team won their 5th game on the bounce 17-8 against Wharfedale 3s. Tries were scored by Ryan Mudd and Kurt Sutcliffe, with two conversions and a penalty by Sutcliffe. The Development team is now 7th in the Championship North Merit League.

Heath website

1. H Whitfield 2. C Stone 3. J Crickmay
6. H Keighley-Payne 7. N Faulkner
4. C Heseltine 5. J Andrews
8. G Rollings
9. E Cockroft C P
10. J Kelly
12. B Waud
13. C Flanagan
11. D Heseltine 14. A Shoesmith
15. L Flanagan
P Kershaw J Billing T H Robinson

Rishworthians v Heath Slideshow.
click on photo to enlarge, move cursor onto enlarged photo then click on next to view more photos.
View Photos

The Clubhouse, Copley
Halifax West Yorkshire
Telephone  01422 353919
e-mail  rugby@orrufc.co.uk
Colours Maroon, White, Black
Visitors to this page