Rishworthans Banner

1st XV Match Report - Yorkshire 1

Hullensians 29 - 20 Old Rishworthians

Game slips away from Rishworthians in last few minutes

    1. Home
    2. Match report
    3. 1st XV
    4. Fixtures/Results/Reports
      1. 2017-18
      2. 2016-17
      3. 2015-16
      4. 2014-15
      5. 2013-14
      6. 2012-13
      7. 2011-12
      8. 2010-11
      9. 2009-10
      10. 2008-09
    5. Statistics
      1. 2015-16
      2. 2014-15
      3. 2013-14
      4. 2012-13
      5. 2011-12
      6. 2010-11
      7. 2009-10
      8. 2008-09
      9. 2007-08
      10. 2006-07
      11. 2005-06
      12. 2004-05
      13. 2003-04
    6. Previous Seasons
      1. 2013-14
      2. 2012-13
      3. 2011-12
      4. 2010-11
      5. 2009-10
      6. 2008-09
      7. 2007-08
      8. 2006-07
      9. 2005-06
      10. 2004-05
      11. 2003-04
Match Report Saturday 18th November - Yorkshire 1

The scheduled Yorkshire Shield match at Copley was cancelled as the postponed League match Hullensians v Old Rishworthians takes precedence which saw Rishworthians make the long trip to Hull and come home empty handed with Hullensians winning by 29-20. This was the first game between the two clubs since 2013-14 season when both teams were in Yorkshire 2. Hullensians being promoted in that season.

The pitch was in good condition and whilst there was a slight chill factor the conditions were ideal for rugby. Several changes were made from l,ast weeks draw with Moortown. There was a 1stxv debut for teenager Oliver Marshall a product of the junior section who started on the right wing with Sam Bake moving to centre. Jack Andrews was unwell and his place was taken by Gerrard Rollings. Chris Stone was a replacement, Philip Kershaw started at hooker and Oliver Scrimshaw replaced the unavailable Edward Cockroft.

After the first 5 minutes it was clear that Ensians were up the match and from a penalty kick to the corner, the lineout was won and hooker Andy Vernon dived over in the corner for an unconverted try. As the game went on Old Rishworthians were losing set piece ball and it was only when Marshall, and Harvey Keighley-Payne combined with the backs that pressure was put upon Ensians. This resulted in a penalty by Josh Kelly which hit the upright and bounced back into play. The ball was cleared. After another lost lineout Chris Harding kicked upfield for the home team and it was only good defensive work by Harry Whitfield and Scrimshaw that saved the day. However from a scrum on the visitors 22 the ball was moved to the blind side and Josh Abbott scored in the corner. The conversion was missed.

Kelly then kicked a penalty and Old Rishworthians started to win more ball. Whitfield produced a strong run near the club house swatting away any Hullensian players. Together with Josh Crickmay the two props made good ground through the middle. The ball moved to the right and Sam Bake and Oliver Marshall combined well after a kick ahead for Marshall to score in the corner for a try which was not converted by Kelly. At 10-8 and with Chris Stone on the field, the lineouts started functioning with Keighley Payne causing problems for the visitors.

At half time the score was 10-8 and the visiting supporters looked forward to the next half.

Half Time Hullensians 10 - 8 Old Rishworthians

Unfortunately Hullensians also wanted to improve their game and had other ideas. After 3 minutes following a lineout and driving maul, the ball was released to Chris Smith who ran across the field beating defenders and scoring a try under the posts which he converted. The home sides forwards took control for a short period and camped themselves in the visitors 22. Following a penalty at the lineout and a 10 meter drive the referee gave a penalty try to Hullensians. At 24-8 the game appeared to be moving away from the visitors.

After 15 minutes the forwards had other ideas and following a lineout on the far touchline the ball was passed to Rollings who dived over in the corner for a try which was not converted. Feeling more confident, Old Rishworthians started to move the ball effectively and Keighley-Payne beat three defenders to score a try nmear the posts which was converted by Kelly.

At 24-20 the game was going Old Rishworthians way, and after a home yellow card, the accurate passing and runs by Fraser Swarbrooke and Callum Heseltine started making inroads into the Ensians half. Unfortunately the home forwards had possession and following a further rolling maul a try was scored by Smith. The final score was 29-20. This is the 5th game this season where Old Rishworthians have scored 3 tries in a match, Bonus points are hard to come by!

Hullensians website

1. H Whitfield 2. P Kershaw 3. J Crickmay
6. H Keighley-Payne T 7. C Flanagan
4. C Hesseltine 5. F Swarbrooke
8. G Rollings T
9. O Scrimshaw
10. J Kelly C P
12. B Waud
13. S Bake
11. O Marshell T 14. A Shoesmith
15. L Flanagan
C Stone N Faulkner H Robinson

Hullensians v Rishworthians Slideshow.
click on photo to enlarge, move cursor onto enlarged photo then click on next to view more photos.
View Photos

The Clubhouse, Copley
Halifax West Yorkshire
Telephone  01422 353919
e-mail  rugby@orrufc.co.uk
Colours Maroon, White, Black
Visitors to this page